FAIRMONT HISTORY

  • Home
  • Businesses
  • Retail Establishments

In July of 1932, when times were hard and getting harder, two young men put together $60 to open and stock a small grocery store on Center Street. Willis and Pittman Fisher struggled at first and survived by selling hot dogs and cold drinks from the front of the store. From these humble beginnings Fisher Brothers Grocery grew to become one of the largest groceries in the county and was able to compete price-wise with the chain stores such as A&P.

2017 1109 02 Edit

Willis (Wick) Fisher, about 1935. Photo credit: Times-Messenger archive, used with permission.

2017 1109 03

Pittman (Pitt) Fisher, about 1935. Photo credit: Times-Messenger archive, used with permission.

Two years apart in age, Willis (Wick) and Pittman (Pitt), ages 27 and 25 respectively, became dominant players in the highly competitive grocery business in Fairmont, which had ten to twenty grocery stores operating through the 1930s, 1940s and 1950s. From their opening in 1932, the business doubled in volume in 1933, doubled again in 1934 and defying all odds, doubled again in 1935. Their motto was "short profits and quick turnover."

The rapid growth was facilitated by the many services that they offered to their customers. They sold both retail and wholesale groceries which enabled them to expand their reach to a fifty mile radius of Fairmont. They sold coal and wood for heating homes, selling 24 railroad carloads of coal and several hundred cords of wood during the 1935-35 winter. They were dealers in fertilizers, cowhides and ice and were the first grocery in town to offer a home delivery service.

2017 1109 05

Interior of Fisher Brothers Grocery, 1936. Wick Fisher in far left foreground. Photo credit: Times-Messenger archive, used with permission.

Their meat market, managed by Guthrie Floyd, was the most extensive in town. Not only did Fisher Brothers offer name brand meats such as Swift and Armour, they also sold locally-purchased beef, pork and poultry. In 1935 they purchased more than $18,000 worth of local produce including 20,000 pounds of chicken from local farmers.

2017 1109 08

Fisher Brothers storage building located near a railroad siding, 1936. Photo credit: Times-Messenger archives, used with permission.

As the business grew it provided both Wick and Pitt the chance to get involved in community affairs, which will be the subject of another article. It continued through World War II and the Korean War and into the post-war prosperity. In 1961 Wick died of kidney disease. Pitt continued the operation until 1970 when his health deteriorated. On September 14, 1970 the fixtures and merchandise were auctioned off and Fisher Brothers Grocery was closed after thirty-eight years.

Since the village of Ashpole incorporated as Union City, there has always been two or more barber shops in town. Early records are sketchy at best. J. H. Floyd, Jr. had a barber shop on Main Street but his shop burned in a huge downtown fire on January 15, 1902.

By at least 1910, People's Barber Shop was opened on Main Street. W. J. Hammond was the owner and barbers were Lenard Sweat, Nola Cummings, Percy Locklear and Peter Lowery. A haircut was 25 cents and a shave was 10 cents.

W. Norman McLean was a Fairmont barber in September, 1905 but sold his shop in January, 1910. His shop was located adjacent to the post office (site unknown) but it is not known to whom he sold.

Misters Jessie Prevatte and Bullock were barbers in 1922 with a Center Street location. In October, 1922 they moved their shop to the Floyd building on Main Street.

In 1921 Dr. John P. Brown built a building for a barber shop adjacent to Pittman Drug Company. Many barbers have practiced there including Sandy McCormick, R. J. Sessoms, Marshall Smith, John Musselwhite, Harold Lloyd Musselwhite and David Musselwhite.

2009 0506 01 New

From inside the Fairmont Barber Shop, 1929. Far left is Sandy McCormick, far right is John Musselwhite. Two of the middle three are Red Holt and R. J. Sessoms, the third is not identified. Photo credit: David Musselwhite, used with permission.

There have been as many as four barbers working there at one time and as few as one. David Musselwhite retired in July, 2017 after a barbering career of 65 years, all in that same shop. He sold the business to Ricky Brown, the current operator.

Star Barber Shop was located in the R. L. Pittman building on Main Street, across from Waccamaw Bank. Owned and operated by M. D. Smith and J. L. Prevatte, it also employed John Musselwhite and C. L. Leggette as barbers. It had been in business for 7 years in August, 1934.

TMNeg0799 Edit

Steve Teal, son of FHS Ag teacher Vernon Teal, getting a haircut from John Musselwhite. May, 1951. Photo credit: Times-Messenger archive, used with permission.

Sessom Barber Shop, R. J. Sessoms, proprietor, was located across from Capitol Theater in August, 1935. Its advertisement promised "guaranteed sober service" and said that it had been serving the community for 15 years. In addition to Sessoms, it also employees Red Holt and R. A. Lovett as barbers and Jim Pittman, "the world's best shine boy."

North Side barber shop for Indians, operated by John H. Sampson of Pembroke, was opened in February, 1937. It was just north of Fairmont on the Lumberton Highway adjacent to G. E. Spaulding's North Side Service Station.

Seth Kinlaw operated his own shop in Fairmont for many years in several Main Street locations. In the late 1940s A. C. Bracey worked with Kinlaw before eventually opening his own shop in Lumberton.

Many years ago it was fashionable to get one's hair cut every ten days to two weeks. Now most men get haircuts just once a month or less. The business certainly has changed.

 

Note: If anyone has other barber shop photos made in any of the above-mentioned shops, we will be happy to include them here if you will use the contact form on the right of this page.

Copyright

The contents of this site are copyrighted by Curtis McGirt, 2017©. All rights reserved.