Dr. J. Lloyd Pate, in his 1969 history of the First Baptist Church, wrote that "it is generally accepted that this present sanctuary, constructed in 1912, is the fourth house of worship. The church building just prior to this sanctuary was a one-room building of weatherboard type construction. It was located across Church Street where Fairmont Memorial Park is today."
Photo credit: "L" Floyd, used with permission.
This is the only known photo of that church. The cemetery is visible in the background as is the front half of the church. The children are Grace, Willis (on stilts) and Pittman Fisher. The person in the background is unidentified.
Photo credit: NC Collection Photographic Archives, Wilson Library, UNC-Chapel Hill; used with permission.
When completed in 1912, the congregation moved into this church.Constructed at a cost of $12,000, the cornerstone was laid on July 15, 1912 with Rev. Nathan Rowland Pitman delivering an address. Dewey P. Bridges was pastor.
This is the earliest available photo, made in 1914 or 1915. This building served the congregation well for seventy years until it was replaced with the current sanctuary.